How to gain added space in a flat or apartment

If you live in a house there are always options to extend your living space, whether it’s a conservatory, extension, loft or even cellar conversion.

If you live in a flat how can you extend your living space?

Clever interior design can assist in getting better use of the space you have, and you can create extra space by remodelling awkward spaces.

Most flats struggle with storage space, in mansion blocks and converted properties which enjoy high ceilings the space can be better used with floor to ceiling cupboards. You can use the higher sections of the space for things used less often and the lower cupboards for items you use regularly.

Cleaning up your internal space by putting clutter in strategically placed cupboards will make your apartment feel much bigger automatically.

In older converted blocks of flats and apartments the layout often wastes space. Unnecessary corridors and walls, which could make rooms much larger and useable once removed (always check with the terms of your lease before you make any alterations.)

When making alterations to an older property it is always worth spending a little more on good plastering and reinstating period features such as coving and architrave and always try to obtain skirting that matches that in the original part of your property to finish.

Before moving or removing an internal wall you should consult a structural engineer to see whether they are load bearing. If the walls are load bearing its prudent to consult a structural engineer to ensure that adequate Rolled Steel Joists (RSJs) are used to hold the weight. You do not need planning permission to make internal alterations to a flat, but you will need to complete a Building Notice with your local authority to ensure you comply with Building Regulations. Inspectors will visit you at each stage to ensure that the work is carried out correctly.

Any alterations to shared walls or structures will also require a party wall agreement with the owner of the neighbouring property.