When must our Accounts be filed?

For financial years starting on or after 6 April 2008 if you are filing your Residents Management Company’s (RMC’s) first accounts and those accounts cover a period of more than 12 months you must deliver them to Companies House

  • within 21 months of the date of incorporation for private companies;


  • 3 months from the accounting reference date (ARD), whichever is longer. The deadline for delivery to Companies House is calculated to the exact day

Unless you are filing your RMC’s first accounts the time normally allowed for delivering accounts to Companies House is:

  • 9 months from the ARD for a private company;

For financial years that start before 6 April 2008 you must normally deliver annual accounts to Companies House within 10 months of a company’s accounting reference (ARD) for a private company. However, if a company’s first accounts cover a period longer than 12 months, the maximum time allowed is 22 months from the date of incorporation or 3 months from the accounting reference date (ARD), whichever is longer.

Companies House recommend that you send them your accounts promptly to ensure they arrive before the filing deadline. To help you file accounts on time, a reminder will be sent to the company’s registered office 6 to 8 weeks before the accounts are due. Where a filing deadline expires on a Sunday or Bank Holiday the law still requires you to file acceptable accounts by that date.
If you are unsure of your filing deadline, contact Companies House directly on 0870 33 33 636.

If your RMC files accounts with Companies House outside the time allowed for filing late, the RMC will be subject to a late filing penalty. The RMC’s officers could also be prosecuted because they are personally responsible for ensuring that documents are delivered on time. Further information about civil penalties is available from Companies House booklet, GBA5 ‘Late Filing Penalties’.

See: www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/guidance.shtml

There is no special treatment for Residents Management Companies. You still have to file accounts to the timescales shown above.

The time for filing accounts can be extended but only for a special, sudden and unforeseen event. The RMC may write to Companies House and ask for an extension of time for delivering the accounts. The application for an extension must be received before the period allowed for filing the accounts has expired.