I have received a Party Wall Notice, what does it mean and what should I do?

A Party Wall notice is served when certain works are proposed that are ‘notifiable’ under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

The purpose of the Act is to allow the person undertaking the works to proceed without delay, whilst providing the neighbour’s property is properly safeguarded from unnecessary damage or inconvenience.

When receiving a notice, it is important to understand what the proposed works entail and their implications, so your property is not adversely affected in both the short and long term.

A competent Party Wall Surveyor will be able to review the proposals and provide advice. A Surveyor will need to be appointed within 14 days from receiving the notice and if you do not reply, you will then be given a further 10 days to appoint one or a Surveyor will be appointed to act on your behalf. Any reasonable fees incurred are covered by the person undertaking the works.

You can contact the Hamilton Darcey team via their website or via enquiries@hamiltondarcey.com.